Breakfast Egg Muffin
This breakfast egg muffin is quick, satisfying and can be customised to just how you (or your kids) like it! The hero of this recipe is the humble egg - arguably one of the most nutritious food on earth!
Eggs are a superfood packed with protein, healthy fats, vitamin B12, vitamin A, and almost every other vitamin and mineral we need for optimal health. Egg yolks are also one of the richest sources of choline - a vital nutrient needed for brain, cell and liver health.
And just in case you're worried, no - eating eggs DOES NOT raise your cholesterol! The Government removed its flawed dietary advice to restrict eggs some years ago now! So go ahead, enjoy your daily eggs!
Time: 10 mins
Ingredients (1 Serving)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp plain cottage cheese (full-fat)
- 50g cooked meat and/or veggies, finely chopped
- 10g cheddar cheese, cubed
- Salt and pepper
- Beat the egg and seasoning in a microwaveable mug.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds; stir mixture. Microwave for 30 seconds; stir again. Microwave for another 30 seconds or until cooked through.
- Remove the mug from the microwave and tip upside down on a plate. Let the egg muffin cool for a few minutes before eating.
- Cooked ham or bacon, pancetta, left-over chicken, tinned tuna, tofu, salad peppers, spring onions, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, baby spinach. If using frozen veggies, defrost in the microwave first. Finely chop all filling ingredients before using.
- Try using different cheese e.g. cubed feta or stilton, or grated parmesan.
- Try adding fresh, frozen or dried herbs and spices e.g. chilli, smoked paprika, parsley, oregano etc.
- If you are really hungry use 2 - 3 eggs and increase the final microwave time by approx. 30 - 60 seconds.
- Muffins can also be oven baked in 2 greased muffin moulds at 200°C / 180°C Fan until cooked through.