Cauliflower & Carrot Soup
Supercharged with vitamins and minerals and with less than 3g of carbs per 100g, the humble cauliflower provides a perfect filling and creamy alternative to many starchy foodstuffs such as potatoes and rice.
Ingredients (4 Servings)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 white onion chopped (or equivalent frozen onion)
- 1 head cauliflower (cut into chunks)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup tinned coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg (optional)
- 4 rashers of streaky bacon diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- Add coconut oil to a large pan and place on the hob over medium heat. Saute the onion for about 5 minutes or until soft and golden.
- Add the cauliflower and cook until it browns (about 5 minutes).
- Add the stock and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover. Let simmer for 30 minutes. Add in coconut milk, sea salt and nutmeg. Stir well until milk is heated through and remove from heat.
- Take out and set aside 1/3 of the cooked cauliflower. Blend the remaining soup in the pan, using a stick blender, to desired consistency. Return the remaining cauliflower to the soup and stir over heat until re-heated.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, place the streaky bacon in a cold frying pan and fry over a medium-high heat until browned and crispy. Toss the almonds in the pan with the bacon and remove from heat.
- Serve the soup in bowls, and top with the bacon and almond mix.
This filling soup is often enough for me for a satifying lunch, but if you like some bread with your soup then a slice of low-carb almond bread with a smattering of cream cheese would be delicious!
- Frozen cauliflower florets work just as well instead of fresh.
- To make this soup extra filling, stir in some ground flax and chia seeds once the soup has been served in a bowl (do not heat ground seeds in pan).
- For a veggie version, use vegetable stock, fry slices of avocado in cocnut oil until browned and add almonds.
Most stock cubes have added sugar! Kallo organic stock pots (beef/ vegetable/ chicken) are sugar free and gluten free.