Low Carb Wraps
14 Nov 2020
Low Carb, Gluten-Free Wraps
This is a must-try recipe! These tasty and bendable gluten-free wraps can be used in place of regular wraps in all your favourite dishes, and because they don't contain wheat flour they are low in starch so keep your blood sugar and energy levels balanced. Coconut and almond flour are also higher in fibre so these tend to be more filling than regular shop-bought wraps.
Time: Approx. 40 mins
Makes 4 small or 2 large wraps
- 96g Almond Flour
- 24g Coconut Flour
- 2 tsp Xantham Gum
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 3 tsp Water
- 2 tsp Vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
- 1 Egg, beaten
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and knead with your hands for about 90 seconds
- Wrap ball of dough in plastic film and put in fridge to chill for at least 10 minutes. Can be made in advance and left in the fridge for anything up to a few hours if required
- Once chilled, remove from film and divide into even pieces, 4 or 2 depending on what size wraps you are making
- Flatten each piece with a rolling pin between 2 sheets of baking parchment into rounds. You can roll these really thin
- If the edges of the wrap are ragged you can trim a little to be a neater shape and re-use the dough in the next wrap
- Heat a dry frying pan on medium-high heat
- For each wrap, carefully peel away the baking parchment and lay in the hot pan
- First fry on one side for just 5 seconds, then flip the wrap onto the other side and fry for 30 seconds, then flip back and fry on the original side for 25 seconds.
- Do not be tempted to over-cook as they will dry out and crack!
- If eating straight away, store the wraps within a tea towel to keep warm whilst cooking the remainder. Alternatively once cooled, these can be kept wrapped up in foil in an airtight container for 1-2 days or frozen.
- You find Xantham gum in the baking section of your supermarket. It is an ingredient often used in gluten-free baking.
Once cooked you can stack the wraps between greaseproof paper and freeze.
[cms:asset 198 title="Wrap"]